0

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Lucky

Well, it hasn't yet been a full month since the last post - I still have 3 days left!  This post is definitely a couple of weeks overdue, so we apologize!

It's been a whirlwind month.  From finishing my ICU month with a week of nights and tons of patients, our final walkthrough at our house, a mortgage approval setback on Friday the 20th at noon when we had closing scheduled on Monday the 23rd at noon (they decided THAT DAY, when we'd been preapproved in FEBRUARY, that we all of a sudden needed to send in copies of canceled rent checks for the last two years), getting finally approved to close at 11:20am on Monday (after jumping through hoops with third party verifiers and previous landlords to get the "proof" needed that I paid my rent on time), closing on the 23rd and getting our keys and getting all moved in by Thursday night the 26th, cleaning our old apt and moving out by Friday night, finishing my last round of boards (16 hrs of testing and probably a thousand questions) on both Monday and Tuesday of the following week (Sept 30 and Oct 1), unpacking and hosting my mom for a delightful visit last weekend, and then hanging out with a couple of families in our new ward this past Friday, our married couple friends last night, and helping a friend move after church/installing blinds on our own today!  WHEW!  And, I left out the fan installation, crafting, fun cooking parties, and other such details.  It's been busy!

We've been super blessed, though.  We were so lucky to first of all find this development, qualify for the loan before I had even matched for residency (thank you "doctor loan"!), and get all the stuff we needed together, even if our mortgage processors forgot a few small details til the very end.  We had soooo much help moving from our friends, and more than 10 (maybe more than 15?) showed up to help us and made it less painful despite Uhaul giving us the wrong key and causing a two-hour delay.  So much patience, understanding, and sweat/muscle aches went into our moving day!  We had a lovely visit from my mom, who used her knack for efficiency to help us make extreme progress in unpacking/arranging/making our house "home-y" in between conference sessions.  We had a fantastic General Conference, which helped so much with things I've been thinking about lately.  I was able to pack in studying in between a lot of different things over the past few months and was able to feel at peace on test day, despite the crazy preceding week (and hopefully I passed, though I think I should have since it was easier than the other rounds of boards), so now I'm done with the basic licensing exams and don't have tests for a while!  My awesome hubby and my visiting teachers from my old ward were so helpful with support and study-snacks during that process.  We've enjoyed our new ward so far and have already made friends and had invites, and we've only been to that ward ~3 times!  James has found time to study and I think we're settling into a better groove/balance and he's tackling his tough classes like a champ.  So smaht!  So many blessings in our life!

We still have tons of work ahead of us.  We have 6 more windows of blinds to install, garage shelving/racks to install, a curio/china cabinet or something to find to store our many kitchen gadgets (when cooking is one of your favorite hobbies, kitchen storage never seems to be expansive enough), hanging all our photos/clocks, and then figuring out what to do with empty spaces (that shouldn't be too hard) when the boxes are gone.  James also has seemingly endless marathon hw assignments that come every week or so and occupy him for a couple days at a time.  I start night float this Friday night, which means my schedule for 4 weeks will be M-F nights from 9pm-8am or so (given, Sat at 8am-Monday night, I'm off!) and I am one of only 3 residents covering 4 floors or ~100 patients and all admissions from the emergency department (ie patients that have to stay in the hospital after initial tests are done in the ED, which means lots of paperwork and computer orders).  No attendings in house for those patients, though we do call them with any tough questions or admissions.  Until Friday, I am finishing up my "ambulatory" month (which is adult medicine clinic from 9am-noon and pediatric clinic from 1pm-3 or 4pm) which has been a nice break after the ICU.  

Fall has been nice as the weather gets cooler and we don't have to water our 3x1 ft patch of grass as often.  We had some tropical storm/hurricane/maybe-neither-this-far-north rain this whole week, and now I think it's finally letting up.  That plus the government/national parks shutdown killed plans for a camping weekend, since this was maybe the only weekend that would have worked this fall.  We'll see if warm-ish weather stretches out til next block when I have ICU and possibly will have a Friday night-Saturday day off.  This week, we're feeding the sister missionaries, hopefully restarting our "family jogging routine" (I've been slacking...er, I mean, we haven't found a good route from this house yet), James has an intramural soccer game (he's been scoring lots of goals so far! hot stuff!), and more unpacking.  My big unpacking goal is to find a home for all my shoes and papers (I have never-ending papers...coupons, receipts, mortgage paperwork, work benefits paperwork, etc...and our two file boxes are bursting at the seams. and I think metal filing cabinets are ugly...haha).  

Ps - we hope to finish unpacking/doing basic decorating and then will post a video tour of the house next week!

I should also make a goal to stop having long blog sentences with tons of commas, parentheticals, and ellipses.

That's the main gist of what's happened and what is coming up, except the sad note from the week.  My beloved dog, Sienna, passed away :(.  Our family only had goldfish growing up until our parents relented to the begging from Abby and I.  We saved up some money and shortly after moving back to Michigan from Australia, we pitched in to help buy a 6 month old cutie, Sienna.  She was a purebred Shiba Inu, which we had researched hard core and which helped us convince our parents because the breed is known for being quiet, independent, catlike (ie clean, not lick-y, etc), and hardy enough to spend a lot of time outdoors.  Perfect for our family.  She was a unique dog with funny personality quirks, but we loved her.  Abby and I were especially close to her, but only were home with her for 4.5 yrs (me) and 6.5 years out of her 13 years.  Ben and mom did most of the caretaking and were really good with her and I am so grateful for that- she was very happy and so fun to come home to during college/med school breaks.  Over the last many months she finally started showing signs of her age and her hearing/vision deteriorated and it seems that old age just caught up to her.  I will miss her tons, but she had a good, long life and I'm glad that Joseph Smith once said something about how he felt that he'd get to see his favorite horse again in heaven/other scriptures and prophets have alluded to similar things- so I think I'll get to see her again sometime.  RIP, Sienna.  Someday I hope to have another great dog when we have a yard and aren't gone for a bazillion hours a day, but she was the best first/only dog so far I could have hoped.  Sorry, long eulogy...but, I miss her so I couldn't help it.






2 comments:

eliana23 said...

Settling in. Good. Dog, sad. Boards done? Excellent. You guys are turning into grown up married people. Nicely done.

Gerry Hanni said...

Thanks for the update....I was worn out checking your blog. I am so glad you are settled in your house, your job, your Ward, your exams,your work, etc. It's fun to read about your life. Love from ggh

Post a Comment