0

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Halls and Cinnamon Buns

Hey y'all.  Sorry we've been bad about updating.  Life has been busy, as usual! No photos today. Blergh. We should work on that.

Over the last couple of weeks, we've:

-Had snow, and more snow. Not as much snow as Michigan, but much more than usual for Maryland.  I had never heard of a polar vortex until this year.  Now I am sick of these things!  Also, when did they start naming winter storms?!?!  Seems like the weathermen/-women are trying to find more ways to make the headlines in between Miley Cyrus and the Oscars.  Also, why do the Oscars get more coverage in average newsites than Crimea/Ukraine?!?!  This world is a crazy place. But hey - yet another snow day for both of us tomorrow!

-Spent lots of time being community activitists and getting more annoyed with silly government and liquor establishments.  Small victory: after lots of hours of work, I was able to solve a mysterious point of history in this bar we're protesting and managed to get it shut down until March 20 (they'd mixed up their years and realized they'd allowed it to operate illegally.  I had to point that out to them).  We also learned that knocking on doors in very cold rain to get petition signatures may cause your knuckles to crack open and bleed.  I wish that people answered doorbells.  They seem to think: "Hmmmm, that loud doorbell-y sound might be a joke...but hey, that knock 20sec later sounds more convincing!"  Also, we got asked: "are you with a community association? Because we're Jehovah's Witnesses so we thought you might be one of us...just checking." And, I overheard another community member saying "someone told me not to wear a white shirt when you knock on doors for something like this.  People might think I'm a missionary or something." LOL.

-Picked up a nasty cold.  By we, I mean "I." James has an immune system of steel in most cases.  This cold has messed me up for 9 days and counting, and he had a scratchy throat for like an hour. (He claims that 1 dose of Airborne cured him...just to make me mad).  I self-diagnosed this bug as viral bronchitis.  I hate to say it, but I'd rather have a "head cold" - I'd sacrifice my nose and take a runny nose over violent coughing any day.  Voice is almost back, but I sounded like a frog when singing at church.  I think in the last week, 50% of my caloric intake has been from 1) Halls defense drops (which have 12.5 calories per item; I feel like I've eaten hundreds of them this week); 2) Campbell's classic chicken noodle soup (what is with the hearty version?!?! classic rules!); 3) James' "Russian tea" (which he bought in Russia, but is actually British. But yummy. And pinky-purple in color); 4) a pint of Ben & Jerry's Cinnamon Buns - my fav; and 5) Nyquil (knocks me out - dead).  A friend asked me at book club this week (which I hosted - proud life moment/bucket list item: CHECK) "what [I], as I doctor, do when I get a cold." I told her the above 5 remedies, which probably made her think I should get a medical school refund. But dude - if med school had helped me figure out the cure to the common cold, I'd be so rich I'd have my loans paid off already.

-Played racquetball. I always choose this over plain old running.  Especially when breathing hard translates into coughing fits.  This is not prepping me well to play soccer this week.  Yikesss!

-Got in the homestretch of my research block. Only 4 days left. Boo - I love it.  Back to the medicine wards on Friday.  BUT I ONLY HAVE 4 MORE BLOCKS OUT OF 13 LEFT! I am almost done with intern year and I am still alive.  I suppose it hasn't been that bad.  Annoying at times, with 4-ish total nightmare days and then several stressful days.  But I've had some great blocks, and have loved having some time to live life on the side!

In other news, James is doing well in school.  He's brilliant at programming and I wish those skills were contagious.  He's been a fab hubby at taking care of his cough-y wife.  We are staying very busy at church with teaching primary and doing ward employment stuff. The house looks more organized by the week and more photos are steadily being hung. I made a new wreath and bought veggie seeds to ward off tomorrow's storm, which appears like it was a futile measure.  Yes - I am growing a veggie garden on our deck!  Love things that grown in containers.  Hopefully we don't kill it all.  We can't wait to pickle our own cucumbers, eat fresh salad (and stop throwing away the moldy stuff we couldn't-or forgot-to finish), have fresh herbs, etc. I am excited to get creative with space and have found pinterest to be helpful for things like pallet gardens and other awesome marvels.

Well, gotta go to bed because...we have to have enough sleep for our snow day! Yes!  Don't like snow, but snow days never get old!

No comments:

Post a Comment