This week was a good one. I am now on research elective, so I had MLK day off, and then my research mentor told me to stay home because roads were bad Tuesday. So, I went in from Weds- Fri. Such a nice break from the regular hospital work! I'm working with a couple of pediatric neuroradiology faculty at Hopkins until early March. We're looking at advanced MRI sequencing in kids with different seizure disorders. It's totally new info to me so I'm learning a lot, and the research could potentially teach us a lot. The mentors are great, it's pretty relaxed, and I can't complain! James and I are riding the shuttle to work right now (roads/paths are STILL stubbornly icy after Tuesday's storm despite as many tons of salt as there are people in Baltimore being used in this town). We usually will probably meet for lunch together. It's fun! I'd love to work in the same institution as the hubby all the time. :)
During the days off, I got some good rest in, fully recovered from Montezuma, and cleaned up the house. We were so sad to take the tree down on MLK day but still are finding needles EVERYWHERE haha. Our house looked so much more homey with it. Too bad I couldn't just install a permanent living tree in that corner...
James continues to advance his handyman skills. He finally finished our coat racks. He started working on them during Thanksgiving break at his uncle's house and did all the woodwork there. Measuring the hook placement took a little time but the main thing that stalled him in hanging them was learning how to countersink the screws to anchor them to studs. Our trusty 12V hand drill (a well-worn wedding gift by now) met its match and we had to go through several drywall screws since the torque wasn't quite there. BUT FINALLY - it is done! It looks absolutely fantastic. Even better - it works great and there are so many places to hang coats, hats, scarves...love it.
We also cooked again a few times this week - it's been a while since we've cooked something totally from scratch it seems like. I got James a cookbook that has been delish so far. Part of me is chalking that up to the fact that all recipes we've tried call for heavy cream (eek!). Given the cookbook is a 1-recipe per day cookbook, I'm hoping I found all the heavy cream recipes at once or this is going to have some negative waistline consequences! Regardless, I think I will ration the book to one meal per month just in case they're all so yummy-licious.
Today's adventure: a most delicious shepherd's pie. The picture does not do it justice but it was SO GOOD. And, quite laborious. We made quite the stack of dirty dishes. Ironically, the book is called "one-pot meals" and this took 3 large pots to make this plus a gazillion utensils and other tools. Totally worth it for a yummy Sunday dinner though.
One last funny parting thought. During our primary lesson with our 5 year old kids today, James hummed "I am a Child of God" and I asked the kids to guess what song it was. First guess? "What does the fox say?!"
No comments:
Post a Comment