New York! New York!
I loved the Subway. Public transportation is so much fun to figure out, and there are always so many interesting people to see. I remember when this version of the map came out:
That is very different than what is posted by the MTA. Here is a map that covers the places that we went to (Southern Manhattan).
Our hotel was the Marriott at E 48th St and Lexington. It was in a prime location to get to the subway (Grand Central Station). We were within walking distance of Rockefeller Center (by the way, we did want to go skating, but the two-hour-long line and the $45 per head price was prohibitive). We also were able to walk all the way to Central Park (not really that far). So first off, we took the subway down south to see the World Trade Center Memorial. They had really neat fountains and the names of everyone who died as a monument.
We also stopped by Wall Street. Cindy said you used to be able to see the trading floor. But no more. I am reminded of the stock exchange scene from The Dark Knight Rises.
We visited Times Square. That was so bright! Every time we would go to some store (Disney, or Toys 'R' Us, for example) and then come out, it was so bright that I thought it could be daytime.
New York City was amazing. It was the first time I had ever been (thank you Clough family for making it possible). I am sure Lauren and I would have made the trip eventually, but I am glad we went for the Christmas season. We got to see two shows. The first was Matilda the Musical at the Shubert, and the second was the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall. Matilda was a lot of fun. The set was gorgeous. There were scrabble letters all over. They sang and conversed with British accents, which makes sense since the musical was imported from London. We all enjoyed Miss Trunchbull. She is played by a man, and her character is a hilarious former olympic champion. She likes to train her school children for gym. But she also gets very ostentatious when she shows the kids what to do. Matilda won the 2012 Best New Muscial Olivier award (Tony equivalent for Great Britain).
The Rockettes were amazing. There is something quite amazing about their kicks when they are all in a line.
At the end of the day, Lauren and I took the Bolt Bus home. It was about $30 per seat. That isn't too bad considering that the tolls on the drive up were about $40. All in all, it was a great trip. We had a ton of fun, and Lauren and I look forward to coming back soon! Happy New Year, dear friends!
I loved the Subway. Public transportation is so much fun to figure out, and there are always so many interesting people to see. I remember when this version of the map came out:
That is very different than what is posted by the MTA. Here is a map that covers the places that we went to (Southern Manhattan).
Our hotel was the Marriott at E 48th St and Lexington. It was in a prime location to get to the subway (Grand Central Station). We were within walking distance of Rockefeller Center (by the way, we did want to go skating, but the two-hour-long line and the $45 per head price was prohibitive). We also were able to walk all the way to Central Park (not really that far). So first off, we took the subway down south to see the World Trade Center Memorial. They had really neat fountains and the names of everyone who died as a monument.
We also stopped by Wall Street. Cindy said you used to be able to see the trading floor. But no more. I am reminded of the stock exchange scene from The Dark Knight Rises.
We visited Times Square. That was so bright! Every time we would go to some store (Disney, or Toys 'R' Us, for example) and then come out, it was so bright that I thought it could be daytime.
| It was packed! And that made it all the more exciting. Quick note: we saw about 10 different Elmos from Sesame Street out here. |
| Toys 'R' Us was so cool! They had every toy you could imagine. Even Lincoln Logs!! |
| We ate at Hard Rock Cafe on Times Square before seeing Matilda. |
New York City was amazing. It was the first time I had ever been (thank you Clough family for making it possible). I am sure Lauren and I would have made the trip eventually, but I am glad we went for the Christmas season. We got to see two shows. The first was Matilda the Musical at the Shubert, and the second was the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall. Matilda was a lot of fun. The set was gorgeous. There were scrabble letters all over. They sang and conversed with British accents, which makes sense since the musical was imported from London. We all enjoyed Miss Trunchbull. She is played by a man, and her character is a hilarious former olympic champion. She likes to train her school children for gym. But she also gets very ostentatious when she shows the kids what to do. Matilda won the 2012 Best New Muscial Olivier award (Tony equivalent for Great Britain).
The Rockettes were amazing. There is something quite amazing about their kicks when they are all in a line.
Until rehearsal starts, though, Rockettes agree there is no way to prepare for the 1,500 kicks they do during a five-show day. The adrenaline of an audience gets you through it, as does the thrill of seeing the pieces coming together, 72 legs kicking eye-high in perfect unison. —NY TimesThey also are all approximately the same height: a job requirement is to be between 5'6" and 5'10.5" tall.
| The wonderful Radio City Music Hall! |
| Cindy and Lauren are waiting for the show to begin. They are both playing Words with Friends, as always. |
| Look at all those perfect kicks! |
At the end of the day, Lauren and I took the Bolt Bus home. It was about $30 per seat. That isn't too bad considering that the tolls on the drive up were about $40. All in all, it was a great trip. We had a ton of fun, and Lauren and I look forward to coming back soon! Happy New Year, dear friends!


1 comment:
Thanks for the report-glad you enjoyed Christmas in NYC. Hope you have a great new year!! from Gerry Hanni
Post a Comment